These Vegan Magic Cookie Bars are a delicious and cruelty-free take on a decadent childhood treat! The classic dessert is made with layers of goodies, starting with a crumbly, buttery graham cracker crust covered in chocolate morsels, walnuts and coconut flakes. Finally, a sweet and gooey layer of sweetened condensed coconut milk holds all of the delicious layers together into one perfect bar. My mom used to make magic cookie bars when I was a little girl and I remember loving them so much! Just recently, I realized that it had been AGES since I’ve had them (we’re talking decades here). So, of course that meant it was high time I veganized this beloved sweet treat!
And guess what?! This recipe turned out to be just as delicious as the one I remember! The crumbly graham cracker crust layered with chocolate, coconut, walnuts and gooey coconut milk is just as indulgent as I remembered. With that said, I’m under no assumption that these Vegan Magic Cookie Bars are in any way a health food. But they’re not supposed to be! Sometimes you just need an indulgent and fun recipe that brings back happy childhood memories. Everything in moderation, am I right? 🙂 So let’s go ahead and bring out the butter and sugar this time!
It certainly won’t take more than a couple of bites to satisfy a serious sweet tooth. But I can guarantee that you’ll find yourself reaching for another bite anyway! These Vegan Magic Cookie Bars are just so darn delicious, it’s dangerous. And I have to say, the sweetened condensed coconut milk takes the recipe to the next level. At first I wasn’t really sure how to go about making it, especially because all the recipes I found required boiling the milk for up to an hour. No thanks, I wasn’t about to wait that long for my treats! So, it was time to take a gamble and get inventive. It turned out that tapioca starch was just the ticket!
Once the Vegan Magic Cookie Bars come out of the oven, it will be very tempting to dig in. But you have to let them cool completely for the full experience! So if you want to speed up the process you can always put them in the fridge after they have cooler on the counter for a bit. And then it’s officially time to dig in! This is a great recipe to make ahead of time and the bars will store well in the fridge for up to a week.
These Vegan Magic Cookie Bars are a perfect treat for the holidays! They are also great for sharing at your next party. But they will disappear very quickly, so don’t be surprised. People will be sneaking back for another taste! I hope you love these indulgent bars as much as we do. And maybe they’ll bring back fond memories for you too!
And just remember, you really can veganize just about any favorite childhood recipe!
These vegan magic cookie bars are a decadent and delicious take on a classic sweet treat!
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbs tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegan graham cracker crumbs
- 6 Tbs vegan butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips or morsels
- 1 1/2 cups coconut flakes
- 1 cup walnuts, smashed
Add all of the ingredients into a blender and pulse briefly until smooth. Pour the mixture into a small saucepan.
Place the saucepan on the stove and cook on medium heat for approximately 10-15 minutes or until the mixture thickens to the consistency of sweetened condensed milk. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Preheat the oven to 350°.
Smash the graham crackers into crumbs and place them in a 7"x11" baking dish. Pour the melted butter over the crumbs and stir to combine. Firmly press the crust evenly across the bottom of the pan.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips, coconut flakes and walnuts evenly on top of the graham cracker crust.
Pour the sweetened condensed milk across the top of the entire pan. Use a spoon to gently mix the milk into the chocolate chips, coconut flakes and walnuts without disturbing the crust.
Place the dish in the oven and cook for approximately 30 minutes. Allow the bars to cool completely before cutting. Store in the fridge for up to a week. Enjoy!
- I decided to make my own sweetened condensed coconut milk, but if you happen to find a can in the store you can definitely use that instead if you'd like.
- I used gluten-free graham crackers for this recipe, but you can use whatever kind you like!
- If you prefer a less chocolatey dessert, I would suggest reducing the chocolate chips to 1 1/4 cups.
- Walnuts are traditionally used in this recipe, but it would also be delicious with other types of nuts (think cashews, almonds, or peanuts!)
- If you don't have a blender for the sweetened condensed milk - Set aside a 1/4 cup of the coconut milk. Cook the rest of the milk with the sugar, vanilla and salt until warm. Stir the remaining 1/4 cup of cold coconut milk and the tapioca starch together in a separate bowl and pour it into the pot. Stir vigorously to combine. Continue stirring the mixture regularly until it has thickened.